The Woodland Opera House (California) is requesting applications for the full-time position of Technical Director. WOH is a year-round producing theatre in a lovely restored 1895 facility seating 400+. In addition to the Opera House, WOH owns a rehearsal hall/shop facility and operates an education building with classrooms and storage space. The company began producing in 1989 and is financially stable.
Current staff includes Executive Director, Theatre Manager, Costume Designer, Master Carpenter, Marketing Coordinator, Education Director, Education instructors, box office staff, etc.
A typical production year includes 5 Mainstage plays and musicals, 3 Theatre for Families shows, and 4 Educational in-house productions plus 3-5 one-night rentals.
The successful candidate will have experience in Technical Direction with a background in scenic design and lighting design. The Technical Director will be the primary designer and consult on hiring guest designers as needed. Additional duties include:
- Assisting with set building and light hang and focus as needed
- Setting and enforcing safe-use guidelines for equipment
- Routinely performing (or delegating) preventative maintenance on equipment
- Purchasing new equipment and replacing failing equipment as needed
- Keeping an inventory of the theater’s technical supplies
- Responsible for all technical rehearsals for season shows and the load-in/load-out process for rentals
- Advising designers and directors on feasibility, cost, and equipment capabilities
- Turning guest designer’s sketches or ideas into technical drafts used by the carpenter
- Hiring, recruiting, or training technical staff, guest designers and volunteer crews
- Scheduling technical staff for events or performances
- Acting as the technical point of contact for renters and outside productions
Salary range is $53-$60k depending upon experience. To apply send cover letter outlining experience and interest, resume, list of at least three references with contact information in .doc, .docx, or .pdf format and portfolio images in .jpg or .pdf format to: woodlandoperaED@gmail.com. The position is open immediately and applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
The Woodland Opera House Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender preference, or sexual orientation.