OPEN CALL AUDITIONS FOR
THE DROWSY CHAPERONE
Playing August 8 — 23, 2017
Directed by Kevin Costello
Musical Direction by Amy Dahlstrom Choreography by Evelyn Barney
When a die hard theatre fan plays his favorite cast album, the characters come to life in this hilarious musical farce! Winner of five
Tony Awards, including Best Book and Best Original Score, The Drowsy Chaperone is a loving send-up of the Jazz Age musical,
featuring one show-stopping song and dance number after another. Rated PG.
OPEN CALL AUDITION DATES: Sunday, June 3, 2018 at 6:30 pm OR Monday, June 4, 2018 at 6:30 pm
CALLBACKS (by invitation only): Tuesday, June 5, 2018 at 6:30 p.m.
LOCATION: 1744 Pacific Ave, Stockton (please enter through the front door)
AUDITION INFO: Bring a photo of yourself (does not have to be a professional headshot) and know/bring your conflict schedule
through August 19. Please prepare 16 bars (or 1 chorus) from a Broadway musical (no pop), preferably of similar style to The Drowsy
Chaperone. Bring sheet music. An accompanist will be provided. No a capella please. There will be a dancing audition, so dress
comfortably. Closed-toed shoes only. Auditions may include cold readings from the script.
All roles are available and all are welcome!
* Man In Chair- (spoken part) Musical theatre aficionado who mourns the end of the Golden Era. He narrates the show as he
listens to the record on vinyl. Must have impeccable comic timing and ability to learn many lines! Age: 30 to 50
* Underling- (tenor) Mrs. Tottendale’s savvy butler who is thrifty and stiff yet has an understated sense of humor. Age: 35 to 50
* Robert Martin- (tenor) The dashing, ever-cheerful groom. Ability to tap dance preferred. Age: 25 to 35
* George- (tenor) Robert’s anxious, dim-witted best man who has Robert’s best-interest always at heart. Ability to tap dance
preferred. Age: 35 to 50
* Feldzieg- (baritone) Broadway producer who is desperate for his star to return to his show. Age: 35 to 60
* Gangster #1 and Gangster #2- (tenors) Posing as pastry chefs, this comic, song & dance gangster duo intends to collect
from Feldzieg. Age: 25 to 55
* Aldolpho- (baritone/bass) European self-proclaimed ladies man. “Over-the-top” comedic role. Age: 35 to 45
* Superintendent- (spoken part) Manages “Man In Chair”‘s apartment. Has a bit at the end of the show. Age: 20’s-60’s.
* Male Ensemble- Servants, reporters, wedding guests, etc.
* Mrs. Tottendale- (alto) The air-headed, proper, and bossy host of the wedding. Age: 50 to 60
* Kitty- (mezzo-soprano) Feldzieg’s dim-witted companion who has hopes of being a star. Age: 20 to 35
* Janet Van De Graaf- (mezzo-soprano/alto) The famous bride and glamorous, talented star of Feldzieg’s Follies. Triple threat.
Age: 25 to 35
* The Drowsy Chaperone- (alto) Janet’s alcoholic confidante and friend. Another very fun, “over-the-top” role. Age: 45 to 55
* Trix- (alto) The brave and brash African-American aviatrix who, by chance, is recruited to perform the wedding. Age: 25 to 40
* Female Ensemble- Servants, reporters, wedding guests, etc.