DMTC’s Young Performers Theater
Applications to Direct for 2020-2021 Season
Davis Musical Theatre Company’s Young Performers Theatre (“YPT”) is now accepting proposals from potential directors for its 2020-2021 season. We have openings for two of our four time slots (see below) for the next season. The deadline for submitting proposals is January 13, 2020. Please note that this is a non-paid position.
Two of the four following show time slots are open for our 2020-2021 YPT Season. This will be on a first-come, first-served basis once directors are selected, so please include in your proposal your time slot preference (in order)–or whether you are unable to direct in a particular time slot[s].
· 1st time slot: Auditions: End of July/Beginning of August. Rehearsals: Begin Monday following auditions and continue Mon thru Thurs, 4:30 to 6:30 pm, until opening in mid- September, with school matinees on a weekday during the middle of the show run, and show closing in mid-October.
· 2nd time slot: Auditions: Mid-September. Rehearsals: Begin Monday following auditions and continue Mon thru Thurs, 4:30 to 6:30 pm, until opening in mid-November, with school matinees on a weekday during the middle of the show run, and show closing in early December.
· 3rd time slot: Auditions: Mid-January. Rehearsals: Begin Monday following auditions and continue Mon thru Thurs, 4:30 to 6:30 pm, until opening in early March with school matinees on a weekday during the middle of the show run, and show closing at the end of March.
· 4th timeslot: Auditions: Mid-March. Rehearsals: Begin Monday following auditions and continue Mon thru Thurs, 4:30 to 6:30 pm, until opening in early May with school matinees on a weekday during the middle of the show run, and show closing at the end of May.
All shows run over four weekends: the first three Saturdays at 2:00 pm, and on Friday night at 7:00 pm, and Saturday and Sunday afternoon at 2:00 pm on the final weekend.
When you submit your proposal, you may propose a show that you would like to direct, or you may choose from a list of acceptable shows that have already been vetted by the YPT. Current selections include:
Disney’s Mulan Jr. (MTI)
Disney’s Peter Pan Babes in Toyland
Miracle on 34th Street
Harry Connick Jr. The Happy Elf (MTI)
Emperor’s New Clothes (MTI)
Sleeping Beauty (MTI)
The Adventures of Dr. Dolittle (DP)
Anne of Green Gables
The Velveteen Rabbit
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Musical Adventures of Flat Stanley (23+ ensemble)
Winnie the Pooh
Singing in the Rain Jr. (25+ ensemble) (MTI)
Willie Wonka (MTI)
Xanadu Jr. (MTI)
Madagascar: A Musical Adventure Jr. (MTI)
Please know that your choice is not limited to this list. Please feel free to propose your own idea for a show that is not on this list.
Director and Show Criteria
The criteria for potential YPT directors include:
· successful experience as a director, and/or
· successful and substantial experience in one or more significant production jobs
(e.g. stage manager, costumer, choreographer, music director, dance captain etc.)
· demonstrated experience working positively in a leadership capacity with young people is strongly preferred
The criteria for proposing shows for the YPT (i.e. not on our current list) include:
· must be a known, sellable, show title that has the potential to be popular and attract a significant audience in our target age group/s (elementary-aged kids, adolescents, and families) show should not have been performed by the YPT during the past 3-5 seasons (refer to list) must not be too expensive, too labor intensive, or contain technical elements that would create a hardship for the YPT production team to accomplish
How To Apply to Direct a DMTC YPT Show and How To Propose a Show Selection
1. Please submit the following information :
· a resume and/or summary that includes the following:
· your contact information (name, address, email and phone number)
· a listing and description of all, if any, directorial experience
· a description of all theatre experience (on or off stage, pre-production and/or production experience, etc.)
· detailed information (e.g. a summary) of any relevant experience you have working with youth between the ages of 7 and 17
· references of 2-3 individuals who can speak to your experience (volunteer or otherwise) in working with youth between the ages of 7 and 17. name and number should suffice.
2. Please submit the following information:
· a short description of your idea/vision for a show proposal, or a description of which show/s from our YPT list are of interest to you. Your description should include some information about how you envision sets, costumes, lights, choreography, character development, etc., or other relevant data to the production, and your preliminary plans for implementing these ideas.
· a production/rehearsal timeline–in particular, this should include any requested deviation from our usual time schedule (outlined above under “timeslot” information)
3. If you have been a director, briefly describe how your show(s) was successful and/or what you learnt for your future shows. How would you apply them at DMTC? Do you have any creative ideas to market this particular show?
5. Submit your complete proposal by January 13, 2020.
You may email:
Jan Isaacson, Producer: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deepali Bhargava, YPT Chair: email@example.com
Printed proposals may also be mailed or hand-delivered to:
DMTC, 607 Pena Drive #10, Davis, CA 95618
All applicants will be notified no later than mid-April about final decisions, made by YPT committee, for the season. In the meantime, the YPT Producer may contact you to discuss your application and/or your show proposal. All selected Directors for DMTC are required to read our YPT Director materials, including Director-Producer Interface documents, become familiar with DMTC’s YPT policies and practices, and observe these policies and practices throughout the production. DMTC may require background check since you will be working with children.
Thank you for your interest in DMTC’s Young Performers Theatre.