DMTC’s Young Performers Theater
Applications to Direct for the 2018-2019 Season
Davis Musical Theatre Company’s Young Performers Theatre (“YPT”) is now accepting proposals from potential directors for its 2018-2019 season. We have openings for two of our four time slots (see below) for the next season. The deadline for submitting proposals is March 31, 2018.
Please note that this is a non-paid position.
Two of the four following show time slots are open for our 2018-2019 YPT Season. This will be on a first-come, first-served basis once directors are selected, so please include in your proposal your time slot preference (in order)–or whether you are unable to direct in a particular time slot[s].
* 1st time slot: Auditions: End of July/Beginning of August. Rehearsals: Begin Monday following auditions and continue Mon thru Thurs, 4:30 to 6:30 pm, until opening in mid- September, with school matinees on a weekday during the middle of the show run, and show closing in mid-October.
* 2nd time slot: Auditions: Mid-September. Rehearsals: Begin Monday following auditions and continue Mon thru Thurs, 4:30 to 6:30 pm, until opening in mid-November, with school matinees on a weekday during the middle of the show run, and show closing in early December.
* 3rd time slot: Auditions: Mid-January. Rehearsals: Begin Monday following auditions and continue Mon thru Thurs, 4:30 to 6:30 pm, until opening in early March with school matinees on a weekday during the middle of the show run, and show closing at the end of March.
* 4th timeslot: Auditions: Mid-March. Rehearsals: Begin Monday following auditions and continue Mon thru Thurs, 4:30 to 6:30 pm, until opening in early May with school matinees on a weekday during the middle of the show run, and show closing at the end of May.
All shows run over four weekends: the first three Saturdays at 2:00 pm, and on Friday night at 7:00 pm, and Saturday and Sunday afternoon at 2:00 pm on the final weekend.
When you submit your proposal, you may propose a show that you would like to direct.
Director and Show Criteria
The criteria for potential YPT directors include:
* successful experience as a director, and/or
* successful and substantial experience in one or more significant production jobs
(e.g. stage manager, costumer, choreographer, music director, set designer, or prop
* demonstrated experience working positively with young people is strongly preferred
The criteria for proposing shows for the YPT (i.e. not on our current list) include:
* must be a known, sellable, show title that has the potential to be popular and attract a significant audience in our target age group/s (elementary-aged kids, adolescents, and families)
* show should not have been performed by the YPT during the past 4-5 seasons (refer to list)
* must not be too expensive, too labor intensive, or contain technical elements that would create a hardship for the YPT production team to accomplish
How To Apply to Direct a DMTC YPT Show and How To Propose a Show Selection
1. Please submit the following information :
* a resume and/or summary that includes the following:
o your contact information (name, address, email and phone number)
o a listing and description of all, if any, directorial experience
o a description of all theatre experience (on or off stage, pre-production and/or production experience, etc.)
o detailed information (e.g. a summary) of any relevant experience you have working with youth between the ages of 7 and 17
o references of 2-3 individuals who can speak to your experience (volunteer or otherwise) in working with youth between the ages of 7 and 17
2. Please submit the following information:
* a short description of your idea/vision for a show proposal, or a description of which show/s from our YPT list are of interest to you. Your description should include some information about how you envision sets, costumes, lights, choreography, character development, etc., or other relevant data to the production, and your preliminary plans for implementing these ideas.
* a production/rehearsal timeline–in particular, this should include any requested deviation from our usual time schedule (outlined above under “timeslot” information)
* a short description of your successful experience bringing in audiences and/or your ideas for getting seats filled for your show
3. If you have been a director, please quantify/describe how well the show(s) you produced sold. What did you do to creatively market your show(s) or add special interest that would attract an audience? What would you do to creatively market and/or provide a special interest in the show you are proposing?
4. If you have never directed before, what specific idea(s) do you plan on implementing outside of what DMTC already does to market your show and/or add a special interest that would attract an audience?
5. Submit your complete proposal by March 31, 2018.
You may email:
Jan Isaacson, Producer: firstname.lastname@example.org
Karen Fingerman, YPT Co-Chair: email@example.com
Deepali Bhargava, YPT Co-Chair: firstname.lastname@example.org
Printed proposals may also be mailed or hand-delivered to:
DMTC, 607 Pena Drive #10, Davis, CA 95618
All applicants will be notified in mid-April about final decisions for the season. In the meantime, the YPT Producer may contact you to discuss your application and/or your show proposal. All Directors for DMTC are required to read our YPT Director materials, including Director-Producer Interface documents, become familiar with DMTC’s YPT policies and practices, and observe these policies and practices throughout the production.
Please feel free to direct any questions directly to Jan Isaacson at the email address above.
Thank you for your interest in DMTC’s Young Performers Theatre.